Rate of Pay: $100K - $125K per year
• Knows how packaging machines work.
• Experience leading a project.
• Must have knowledge of how to save money on packaging.
• If re-designing is needed, he must be able to provide ideas.
• Must have previous experience 2-4 years of Packaging Development experience.
• Must have testing materials knowledge.
• Reports: COO
• Salary: 100K-125K
• Onsite - T-W-TH / 2 days @ home M-F - 8-5pm but flex as he will be working independently.
• Must be able to communicate with different managers - able to work with different managers.
• Will not be managing other employees.
• DIRECT Hire position
Position: Packaging Engineer
This position leads the value analysis design and technical development of packaging solutions, will include working with sourcing, project teams and vendors to recommend, review, test (quality) and identify cost savings opportunities across our product portfolio.
The position is expected to manage projects which require fundamental packaging technology expertise. Along with the ability to advocate the best interests of packaging via sharing of technical knowledge, gathering fact-based data, providing analytics, and implementing solutions which deliver against project scope and expectations.
Summary of Major Duties & Key Responsibilities:
• Design, review, recommend, and test various packaging design proposals.
• Ensure minimizing material usage and optimizing manufacturing and labor efficiencies, while maintaining product integrity and enhancing retail performance and aesthetics.
• Conduct analytical testing on materials and structures; evaluate and interpret technical data findings and clearly communicate results to stakeholders.
• Ensure projects remain on schedule by setting achievable expectations, proactively driving tasks for on-time completion, proactively highlighting potential risks to task completion, timely responses to communications, and actively participating in project team meetings.
• Assess and resolve identified packaging design problems and opportunities (ie. consumer, retail, distribution, manufacturing performance) on existing items.
• Create and publish robust and accurate specifications which detail critical attributes to ensure consistent material quality and packaging assembly to meet aligned performance requirements. This includes mechanical drawings, written specifications, and process instructions.
• Publish specifications and bill of materials to meet established timelines and priorities to enable production planning and material order requirements.
• Work with Procurement to obtain cost estimates for new packaging materials by providing necessary specifications and information. Assist in presenting cost estimates for input into business case impact analytics.
• Partner with Procurement on implementation of cost reduction strategies/initiatives.
• Review internal and external customer data to understand causation of packaging failure or sub-optimal performance and develop/implement corrective actions accordingly.
• Develop and maintain a professional knowledge of new and emerging trends in packaging technology.
• Identify individual Global Behavior and 'Ways of Working' gaps, develop action plan to close gaps, and actively work to close gaps and strengthen skillsets/behaviors
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
• Possess basic understanding of packaging concepts and principles.
• Fundamental technical knowledge of packaging materials and converting technologies
• Possess mechanical aptitude and ability to understand interrelation of material & equipment
• Ability to design transport simulation tests and interpret results.
• Good critical thinking skills to consider how constraints/changes impact design and functional attributes
• Demonstrated successful problem-solving process skills
• Ability to make rational decisions independently and seek assistance as needed for complex matters
• Ability to successfully communicate complex subject matter both verbally and in written form to audiences of varying organizational levels and technical/business understanding with some manager guidance.
• Basic understanding of supply chain operations and cross-functional partner responsibilities
• Able to work collaboratively with others to accomplish a common objective.
• Self-motivated and takes initiative/action with minimal direction
• Ability to successfully and consistently prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Good organizational, time management, and communication skills to meet commitments.
• Strong PC skills; Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams, NetSuite
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering preferred; BS in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related science field